Thankyou for taking the time to visit the site...
no doubt you were intrigued?
This project has been inspired by the works of Yoko Ono, Sophie Calle and Paul Auster. I have been discovering Ono's work in my local library where she describes a map piece in the book "Grapefruit", this map was to be something quite imaginary and involved the giving of flowers to a stranger. From here I researched worked by Artist Sophie Calle and Author Paul Auster. I wanted to explore the relationship between the trio so I came to the concept of abstract emotion (this is what Calle & Auster relate to one another) contained within the cold, factual framework of a map.
I picked street names in Manchester of which the initial letters spelling out the word LOVE, I wanted to try and create abstract geometric shapes when joined together on the map see attached.
In my bunch of flowers holds an envelope, this passport is a living breathing map, not of a place, but of a collective state of mind. The concept is to inspire you and everyone else involved to explore and find something new in you own familiar city.
My chosen street names were:Livesey Street, Old Mill Street, Vesta Street & Eagle Street
Copy the map, scan it back in with your chosen street along with a photo of giving flowers and post it back up on this blog. Maybe we can map out our city!
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment